A Low-Dose CT Lung Cancer Screening Could Save Your Life!
What You Need To Know
Lung cancer is the leading cause of cancer-related deaths in the United States among both men and women. Majority of lung cancers are caused by cigarette smoking and usually not detected until symptoms develop. By that time, the disease is often more advanced, making a cure much less likely.
Low-dose CT scans provide earlier detection, when lung cancer is most treatable and curable. The National Lung Screen Trial (NLST) findings reveal that those who receive low-dose CT scans had a 15-20% lower risk of dying from lung cancer than those that received standard chest X-rays.
What's My Risk?
You are considered High Risk if you are:
- A current or former smoker age 55-77 AND you have a 30 pack per year history
- Older than 50 with a 20+ pack per year history plus:
- Radon or occupational carcinogen exposure (asbestos, arsenic, diesel fumes, etc.)
- Family history of lung cancer
- COPD or pulmonary fibrosis
- Personal history of cancer or lymphoma
Should I be screened?
Discuss your medical history, the risks of screening and benefits with your physician. In order to be covered by Medicare, you must visit your physician and have an order.
Your insurance may or may not cover the cost of a CT scan for detection of early-stage lung cancer.
What You Can Do
- If you are a smoker, STOP SMOKING.
- Avoid exposure to secondhand scmoke
- Make your home and work environment smoke-free.
- Test your home for radon.
- Be aware of industrial compounds.
If you are still smoking, talk to your physician about ways to help you quit.
For more information on lung cancer screening, call 252.399.8112 or 252.399.8900.
- Cancer Care Services
- Cardiovascular Services
- Duke Telestroke Network
- Emergency Department
- Infusion Services
- Intensive Care Unit
- Laboratory Services
- Nutrition Counseling
- Orthopedic Services
- Radiology Services
- Rehab Services
- The Sleep Center at Wilson Medical Center
- Surgical Services
- Wilson Rehabilitation & Nursing Center
- Wilson Radiation Oncology
- Wilson Wound Healing Center
- Women's & Children's Services
- Wellness Solutions