Wilson Wound Healing Center
Wound treatment that offers hope for healing.
There's no longer any reason to live with a non-healing wound. Every wound has its unique set of circumstances. Our wound center is equipped and staffed to address them all, with most treatments covered by Medicare/Medicaid, HMOs and other private insurance plans. We are experts at caring for people whose open sores have resisted traditional treatment with a success rate of 96% healed in 28 days. With our caring staff and specialized treatment plans developed just for you, we have what you need to get back on your feet again.
We have a unique team of doctors, nurses and therapists all dedicated to healing chronic wounds. The causes of wounds are complex, and our group represents expertise in all of the major areas necessary to handle your varied circumstances and challenges, Whatever it takes for healing to occur, we're equipped and staffed to make it happen.
When should you seek treatment for your wound at a Wound Healing Center?
- Diabetic wounds that are slow-to-heal or not healing
- Surgical wounds that have opened (or “dehisced”)
- Wounds caused by poor circulation (arterial insufficiency)
- Skin damage or open sores caused by radiation treatment possibly even many years ago that is now causing the skin and tissue to “break down”
- Skin grafts or surgical flaps that are not healing post-surgery
- Bone infection (osteomyelitis)
- Crush injuries from an accident
- Damage to internal tissue (soft tissue radionecrosis) or bone (osteoradionecrosis) that causes pain or discomfort which resulted from radiation (radiation cystitis, proctitis, or necrosis)
What to bring to your first appointment:
- A list of any medications you're currently taking as well as any known allergies
- Insurance forms or cards
Your role in healing:
Much of the success of your treatment depends on you. We’ll count on you to follow directions carefully and watch your progress closely. You’ll learn about caring for your wound at home including how to change dressings and how to protect yourself from further injuries. We’re always here to answer questions and give you the support you need to heal.
Proven success in a caring supportive environment.
Our results are impressive, with most chronic wounds improved within weeks.
New wound healing options are available here.
At the Wilson Wound Healing Center, you’ll receive the right treatment to heal your wound. Your wound care physician may prescribe some of these therapies:
- Debridement (removal of dead or damaged tissue)
- Specially chosen dressings and wraps
- Hyperbaric oxygen therapy
- Bio-engineered tissue substitutes
What is hyperbaric oxygen therapy?
Breathing 100% oxygen at increased atmospheric pressure is a painless, proven way to help the body heal. Hyperbaric oxygen (HBO) chambers work by surrounding the patient with 100 % oxygen at higher than normal atmospheric pressure in sessions, or dives, that last 90 minutes to two hours. This increases the amount of oxygen in the patient's blood allowing red blood cells to pass more easily through the plasma into the wounds to heal them from the inside out. Introduced in the mid-'60s, HBO chambers have evolved to treat patients suffering from diabetic ulcers, pressure ulcers, infections, compromised skin grafts and flaps, and wounds that haven't healed within 30 days. Weighing more than one ton each, the HBO chambers resemble a reclining bed encased in a clear acrylic shell nearly a yard in diameter. Patients can listen to music or watch movies on televisions and DVD players mounted above the chamber while remaining in constant contact with those outside the chamber through an intercom and private handset. The only physical sensation resulting from the treatment is a slight pressure on the eardrum, such as that felt when a plane lands, as the air in the chamber is compressed.
- Cancer Care Services
- Cardiovascular Services
- Duke Telestroke Network
- Eastern Carolina Joint Replacement Center
- Emergency Department
- Infusion Services
- Intensive Care Unit
- Laboratory Services
- Nutrition Counseling
- Operative Services
- Radiology Services
- Rehab Services
- Wilson Rehabilitation & Nursing Center
- The Sleep Center at Wilson Medical Center
- Wilson Radiation Oncology
- Wilson Wound Healing Center
- Women's & Children's Services
- Wellness Solutions