Women's & Children's Services
Delivering only the best for you and your family.
For nearly 50 years The Birth Place at Wilson Medical Center has provided excellent care for women and their families.
We know that choosing a hospital to deliver your baby is an important decision for you and your family.
Each year, more than 900 babies are born at The Birth Place of Wilson Medical Center. It is our goal to pay close attention to new moms, dads and babies. Our comfortable home-like atmosphere is the perfect place for you and your family to begin.
The Birth Place has anesthesiologists available 24 hours a day for epidurals, so there’s minimal waiting for pain relief. We also have Cesarean facilities located in labor and delivery, and after the C-section new moms are able to recover in private rooms convenient for the family to visit. Central monitoring provides round-the-clock observation of mother and child while in labor.
The nursery is specially equipped to care for newborns. New moms can room-in. Or, if mom prefers to rest, babies can be sent to the nursery and returned to mom for feeding. A bonding room is also available for new parents to visit their baby.
OB/GYN & Pediatrics
The Obstetrics/Gynecologic and Pediatric unit offers 32 private rooms, each with accommodations for a family member to stay overnight.
Our care includes, but is not limited to, treatment and surgery of the OB/GYN pre-and postpartum patient. We are prepared to handle pregnancy complications, diabetes, pre-term labor, hyperemesis and PIH. Our pediatric unit treats newborns through eighteen years of age in everything from pneumonia, asthma, diabetes, GI viruses and other illnesses requiring treatment.
We believe there is more to maintaining good overall health than meeting your gynecologic and obstetric needs. The following are just a few health considerations for women.
- Blood Pressure and Cholesterol
- Pap Testing and cervical cancer prevention
- Self-breast exams and mammograms
- Safe teen behaviors
- Skin examinations & prevention of skin cancer
- Pre-pregnancy and prenatal care
- Nutrition across the life span
- Menopause and osteoporosis
- Depression (across the life span)
- Child rearing
- Healthy relationships and prevention of abuse
Women’s & Children’s Services offers:
- ACLS, PALS & NRP certified staff
- Lactation specialist
- Parent Education Classes including Childbirth Education and Breastfeeding Preparation
- Krames Patient Education series on Women’s health, pregnancy, newborn and pediatric care
- Dedicated Labor & Delivery, Nursery, Pediatric and OB/GYN staff
- Dedicated OB/GYN physicians
- Dedicated Pediatric physicians
- Newborn Hearing Screens
- Cesarean Sections in the L&D unit
- Secured Nursery/L&D units
- Hugs infant security
- Pedz Pediatric security
Beyond Delivery Through Adolescence
Once you leave the hospital, remember that Wilson Medical Center can care for your child from delivery through age 18, as he or she grows up. Pediatric and Children’s Services offer specialized care in a comfortable child-friendly environment.
Numbers to Know
Make an appointment with your health care provider today to discuss your unique women’s health issues. We encourage you to make a list of concerns to take to your appointment.
|Labor & Delivery||399-8240|
|Eastern Carolina Pediatrics||243-7944|
|Donna Cook, Women's & Children's Director||399-8168|
- Behavioral Health Services
- Cancer Care Services
- Cardiovascular Services
- Duke Telestroke Network
- Emergency Department
- Infusion Services
- Intensive Care Unit
- Laboratory Services
- Nutrition Counseling
- Orthopedic Services
- Radiology Services
- Rehab Services
- The Sleep Center at Wilson Medical Center
- Surgical Services
- Wilson Rehabilitation & Nursing Center
- Wilson Radiation Oncology
- Wilson Wound Healing Center
- Women's & Children's Services
- Wellness Solutions